Wednesday, July 7, 2010

CRITICAL THINKING II ;)

It has been quite some time since I have written anything on this blog. Haha. So naturally, there is so much to say!! Today, I'll just share some things I have been thinking about . . . 

Daily we have the opportunity to learn, grow, and develop as people: as friends, family, peers, human beings, and Children of God. Most opportunities pale in comparison to the potential of such daily possibilities. Unfortunately, often, for whatever reasons, we seem instead to CHOOSE to squander such opportunities and consequently endure the journey on a path of self-induced digression. So how do we avoid such digression and embrace the opportunity to grow and enjoy the subsequent happiness?

As I have thought about it, I have discovered much of what, I feel, leads us to walk down that path we build for ourselves. However minute, overly critical thinking, cynicism, and displaced and disparaging self-consciousness, all lend a hand to build that path step by step. 

A dear friend of mine asked the question, "Why are we trained as human beings to be so critical?", and it is a question that should demand an answer. [You should read what she said about it . . . she is brilliant! http://katrinamlewis.blogspot.com/2010/07/critically-thinking.html]. It is unfortunate that so many of us grow accustomed to the criticism, warranted or not, that is directed toward us. I feel obligated to say that CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is essential to our growth and can be used as a great ally as we learn and develop into who we can become. But, as is often the case, we take something so vital to the next level. We are overly critical of our our friends, overly critical of our peers, and, most unfortunately, overly critical of ourselves.
 
We must be critical of nearly everything. Every interaction, every decision, every relationship, every circumstance. When we feel a void or feel unsatisfied, it seems our first reaction is to criticize the first thing we feel is potentially responsible. Take a second to ask yourself what, if anything, your criticism is achieving. Whom is benefiting? Achieving nothing? Benefiting nobody? Used in frustration? Often our criticism satisfies all three, and that should be the first red flag that we need to rethink our words and actions. 

Our self-critical nature is directly correlated to an often damaging self-consciousness. Why is there such a need in our society to be someone else? To compare who we are to every single person with whom we have contact? When we feel as though we must fit a stereotype, look a certain way, or act in a certain way, we begin to change who we are, and consequently, who we can become. We take the unfathomable potential God has given us, and drop kick it out the window, deciding instead to reject who we are and try to create our own potential. NEVER can this be successful . . . yet everyone does it to an extent. Does that make sense to anyone else? I wish I could say I never did this, but the fact of the matter is I am as guilty as the next person. But this is always something I try reminding myself: I am a child of God. He created me, not only to do and be great things, but He also created me in his likeness. And he DOES NOT make mistakes. There is no need to change who I am or who I can become, for with His help, I will be exactly who He intends me to be, and that is more than enough for me. :) Keep that in mind. 

I just finished reading a book entitled, "Tuesdays with Morrie" [great read for those interested]. But in it, Morrie, a professor giving council as he nears an unavoidable death, begs the question, "Why buy something that does not work? Society has been proven to fit that description. So why buy into it?" The feelings of brokenness and failure when one does not fit into the mold they are attempting to fill is not a reflection upon the person, but instead a reflection upon the mold. Remember that!!

I have also realized as of late how difficult it is to compliment people and, for some, how difficult it is to receive compliments. There must always be strings attached. Why?! When someone receives a compliment from an acquaintance or a peer, there must be ulterior motives right? Wrong!! I love nothing more than, following a compliment I have given, seeing it accepted with a smile and a thank you. If someone is generous enough to give a compliment, there is no need to figure out what he or she means by it. Perhaps they mean exactly what they said? Food for thought. Haha. 

I think the root for that issue is our natural knack for cynicism. It pains me to see those who are so consumed by their cynical nature that there must always be something wrong. No one can be completely happy. There must be something they are hiding. No one can be genuinely charitable or give service. They must want something in return. There must be something wrong at all times. Why? I believe that each and every person is innately good. Some hide and disregard it better than others, but I believe everyone has that ability to be a shining light. When someone harnesses that Light of Christ and shines it, why can't everyone just accept it in all its beauty and glory. The Light of Christ has such power to bring joy! However, how often does our cynicism step in the way of us receiving it? I fear the answer to that is greater than we hope. But through that cynicism, the possibilities are endless. There is so much goodness and beauty in the world. Its our turn to show it, find it, and embrace it. 

Throughout these thought processes, I have continually begged the question "why?'. Why is it we do what we do, say what we say, or act in the manner we do when so often it is detrimental to ourselves and those around us? Unfortunately, I can only give an answer that for myself in its entirety. Each man and woman must do likewise and answer the question of why for their own individual. For when we do, we have given ourselves the power to instead focus on how we can improve. How we can draw nearer to Christ. And how we can influence our own lives and the lives of those around us positively and for good. Each and every day we have the opportunity to change the world. The ball is now in our court. 

I am so lucky. I am surrounded by amazing friends and people, ESPECIALLY as of late. =D They are such marvelous examples of me of how to avoid that path and how to reach the potential Heavenly Father has given us. THANK YOU! =D I cannot help but beam with joy when I think of certain people and how words cannot adequately describe how I much I love them and how important they are to me. With the strength they give me it is my goal to be exactly who I can be, free of any cynicism, criticism, and self-conscious tendencies. I thank my Father in Heaven daily for the incredible people he has placed in my path and for the unbelievable opportunities he allows me. I hope I can reach the potential He has instilled in me and be who he has intended me to be, and no one else. 

TAKING A LOOK AT MY LIFE, I AM SO UNBELIEVABLY LUCKY. AREN'T YOU?? =D

" . . . I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul . . . "

LIVE.LOVE.LAUGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment