Friday, February 10, 2012

Walking on Water

I am so unbelievably blessed! The amazing people I am surrounded by, the wonderful opportunities I am provided, and the glorious direction I am given are without comparison. :) Today was one of those days where that truth could not be more clear!

In my New Testament class, we had the opportunity to study and discuss Matthew 14. What a wonderful chapter! It is so full of applicable teachings and parables. Near the end, the story of Peter walking on water is shared. Reading through it I began to think about the remarkable application to our lives. 

A quick review: Peter, with the rest of the Apostles, was on a ship being "tossed with waves", as they were in the middle of a massive storm. Later that night, Jesus came to them, walking on the water. After an exclamation of fear of the apparent "spirit" they saw on the water, the Apostles heard Christ's voice comforting them. "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid." Is there a more comforting sentiment? Christ then bid Peter come unto him, walking on water. Peter does, literally walking on the water, waves crashing on either side [at least I would imagine so]. At some point in his journey to Jesus, Peter became more and more aware of the boisterous wind around him, and he grew afraid. Unfortunately, as the fear grew, Peter began to sink, pleading, "Lord, save me". Christ then reaches out his hand, saving Peter, and asks why Peter doubted. 

The similarities to our lives are uncanny. Look around. The storm is raging stronger now than ever and we seem to be "tossed with [the] waves" on a daily basis. General adversity, poverty, and the adversary all abound in our world. It's not hard to see the storm that, much like the Apostles, tosses our ship. One of my favorite quotes is "I am not afraid of storms for I am learning to sail my ship". As Peter so aptly demonstrated, I believe we all already know how to sail our ship. Looking out beyond our own ships [our selves if you will], Christ is always right there telling us to be of good cheer and never to fear. He beckons us to trust Him and walk on that water. Trusting Christ, Peter was able to walk on the water as he focused on that final goal of joining Christ. It was only when he began to overwhelm himself with the turmoil that surrounded him that Peter began to fall.

Likewise, if we focus entirely on Christ and the goal to stand with Him at the last day, we can truly walk on water, so to speak. If our will is aligned with His, He will show us how. With Christ as our foundation and focus, there is no storm, wave, or level of wind that can keep us from standing upright on that "water" and moving toward Christ. All too often we allow ourselves to be distracted, to look around, and to fear what storm surrounds us. If we simply keep our focus fixated on Christ, not doubting, we will never sink. NEVER. I think it would be naive to believe that I will not ever falter in that focus, but it is a great strength to know that "His hand is stretched out still". Much like Peter's situation, Christ will never let us sink if we call out to him. 

That first step off of the boat is the ever-important leap of faith. I have recommitted myself to take that leap without hesitation. If Christ is beckoning me to do so, in whatever facet of my life, I will not hesitate to leap. It does not matter how fierce the current or possible future storm, or how violently my ship is being tossed. Dear friends and family help me see the potential of this life on a continual basis. By the example they set and the love they share, they show me how unbelievably beautiful our world is. "Despite its sham and drudgery, the world is still a beautiful place". When we simply take that step off the boat, the subsequent steps in Christ's direction, and maintain that eye single to his glory, not only can we calm our storms, but also calm the storms that surround us. What a beautiful opportunity and strength! =D


Look at the gem I found from freshman year! :) Majestic, isn't it??

LIVE.LOVE.LAUGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment